COVID-19 Checklist for Older Ohioans & Individuals with Chronic Health Conditions
Top 5 Things You Can Do to Prepare for COVID-19
Older Ohioans and people who have underlying chronic and/or severe medical conditions such as asthma; diabetes; or heart, lung, or kidney disease appear to be at higher risk for more serious illness from COVID-19.
Ohio Department of Health Director Amy Acton, MD, MPH, strongly recommends that all older Ohioans and people who have severe chronic medical conditions immediately take the following actions:
Stay at home as much as possible:
- When you go out in public, keep away from others who are sick, limit close contact, and wash your hands often.
- Avoid crowds, especially in poorly ventilated spaces. Visit locations when people are less likely to be there.
Have access to several weeks of medications and supplies if you need to stay home for a prolonged period of time. If you have to visit the pharmacy, use the drive-up window if available, or call the pharmacy to see if they have a process for picking up the prescription without waiting in line.
Plan now for what you will do if you, or people you rely on for support, become ill. Take care of emotional health of yourself and your household members. Communicate with family members, friends, and neighbors through the phone or email at least weekly to create a support network. Discourage them from visiting in person.
Monitor your health for symptoms suggestive of COVID-19:
- Watch for symptoms and warning signs such as difficulty breathing, persistent pain, or pressure in chest; confusion or inability to arouse; bluish lips or face; fever; etc.
- Contact your health care provider if ill, prior to seeing them in person
- Consult with your healthcare provider for more information about monitoring your healthfor symptoms suggestive of COVID-19.
For answers to your COVID-19 questions, call 1-833-4ASKODH (1-833-427-5634).
Preventing the Spread of Coronavirus Disease 209 in Homes and Residential Communities: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/guidance-prevent-spread.html#precautions
Get Your Household Ready for Coronavirus Disease 2019:
Cleaning and Disinfection Recommendations:
Administration for Community Living COVID-19:
Administration for Community Living Emergency Preparedness:
People at Risk for Serious Illness from COVID-19:
Washington State Department of Health Senior Center Administrators and Employee Resources and Recommendations: https://www.doh.wa.gov/Emergencies/NovelCoronavirusOutbreak2020/ SeniorCenterRecommendationsandResources
Department of Homeland Security Pandemic:
Strategies to Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 in Long-Term Care Facilities: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/healthcare-facilities/prevent-spread-in-long-term-care-facilities.html